The AHA is seeking to hire a motivated Paralegal to support our legal staff with litigation and other legal work focused on church-state separation and social justice, particularly as it relates to defending the rights of atheists, humanists, and other religious minorities. The position reports to the Legal Director & Senior Counsel.
This position is temporarily remote due to COVID-19, but we plan a flexible/hybrid return to our Washington, DC (Dupont Circle) office when it is safe to do so. The ideal candidate is based in the DC-area or would be willing to relocate in the future.
The following list of duties is not exhaustive. AHA may also outline additional responsibilities that are not included in this job description.
The responsibilities of the Paralegal position include:
- Managing and maintaining the legal calendar including filing deadlines, discovery deadlines, depositions, appearances, etc.
- Handling intakes and inquiries regarding possible church-state violations and other issues relating to the legal work of the AHA
- Assisting in drafting, reviewing, and sending pleadings, discovery motions, discovery requests and responses, complaint letters, and other documents
- Providing support to attorneys with compliance with local rules, legal research, and filings
- Preparing document production and exhibits for briefs
- Finalizing legal briefs including creating tables of contents and authorities, index of exhibits, Bluebook editing, ensuring compliance with local rules
- Filing court documents on ECF
- Organizing and managing electronic and hard copy files
- Assisting the legal team with completing expense reports
- Attending strategy sessions, client meetings, hearings as needed
- Coordinating programming for the AHA’s Humanist Legal Society
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or Paralegal Certificate
- 3+ years of experience as a litigation oriented legal assistant or paralegal
- Experienced with filing/E-filing procedures
- Superb organization skills with strong follow-through
- Ability to prioritize workload and meet tight deadlines
- Meticulous attention to detail while multi-tasking
- Excellent problem-solving skills and strategic creativity
- High level of integrity and sound, professional judgment
- Strong communication skills including writing and proofing ability
- Ability to work independently and in a highly collaborative environment
- Willingness to work overtime and/or outside of standard business hours when deadlines loom
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Understanding of humanism and willingness to support the mission of the AHA
- Commitment to creating and sustaining a positive, respectful and inclusive work environment
This position predominantly operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, keyboards, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit at a desk for prolonged periods of time.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to safely and successfully perform the essential functions of this job consistent with federal, state, and local standards, including meeting productivity standards.
Persons with mental or physical disabilities as defined by the Americans With Disabilities Act are eligible for this position as long as they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodations are made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible for this position.
American Humanist Association provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, genetic information, religion, creed, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), age, marital status, citizenship status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $48,000 – $50,000. The AHA offers good benefits, including full health insurance, a generous leave program, and a 403(b) retirement savings plan that includes a partial match.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage you to explore our website (www.americanhumanist.org) for more information about our work. The American Humanist Association advocates progressive values and equality for humanists. Our motto is: Good Without a God.